Windows XP Installation - How to Debug?

Kirby James kirby at LKJH.WANADOO.CO.UK
Sun Oct 16 05:34:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've tried to install Mapserver on Windows XP SP2 using the IIS server.

When I interrogate Mapserver using http://my_machine/Scripts/mapserv.exe
I get a web page containing the message "No query information to decode.
QUERY_STRING not set." Which I guess implies that much of the
configuration is OK.

I've tried to install the Itasca example - I can correctly see the index
page "http://my_machine/mapserver/workshop/index.html" but when I
"Initialize" the "Basic Application" option (which delivers a URL of
http://my_machine/Scripts/mapserv.exe?layer=lakespy2&layer=dlgstln2&zoomsize=2&map=%2FInetpub%2Fwwwroot%2Fmapserver%2Fworkshop%2Fitasca.map&program=%2FInetpub%2FScripts%2Fmapserv.exe&root=%2FInetpub%2Fwwwroot%2Fmapserver%2Fworkshop&map_web_imagepath=%2FInetpub%2Fwwwroot%2Fmapserver%2Fworkshop%2Ftmp&map_web_imageurl=mapserver%2Fworkshop%2Ftmp&map_web_template=itasca_basic.html

I get the response "CGI Error - The specified CGI application misbehaved
by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did
return are:" - with no text following.

I've tried various combinations of paths in the MAP file (latest version
shown below) - but keep getting the same result.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I can identify the cause of the
problem,

Regards

Kirby

 WEB
   HEADER templates/header.html
   TEMPLATE "set in index.html"
   FOOTER templates/footer.html
   MINSCALE 1000
   MAXSCALE 1550000
   IMAGEPATH "set in index.html"
   IMAGEURL "set in index.html"
   METADATA
     WMS_TITLE "UMN MapServer Itasca Demo"
     WMS_ABSTRACT "This is a UMN MapServer application for Itasca County
located in north central Minnesota."
     WMS_ACCESSCONSTRAINTS "none"

     # change this value to match your setup

     WMS_ONLINERESOURCE "http://my_machine/mapserver/workshop/index.html"