Non-existant Legend Functionality?

Abe Gillespie abe.gillespie at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 1 16:57:24 EDT 2005

I build my legends by hand with PHP code because the native functionality
just isn't good enough for what I need. Unfortunately I still can't get it
perfect because of what I think is missing MapServer functionality.
Currently my legends are just too big for printing. Is there a way to tell
whether a certain class is visible w/i the current view? Now I don't mean
whether the class is within it's scale limits (MIN or MAXSCALE). Rather can
one tell if a layer / class has any data w/i the current view. For instance,
I may have a fire hydrant layer w/o any scale dependencies. But I might be
zoomed into a field way out in the country side. So, yeah, technically the
layer can be seen at that scale, but no fire hydrants are actually in the
view.

If this doesn't exist, shall I issue a feature request?

Thanks.
-Abe