HostGIS?

Erich Schroeder erich at MUSEUM.STATE.IL.US
Tue Sep 6 12:10:49 EDT 2005

I'm a satisfied experimenter with HostGIS. I'm running it on two
non-production machines now, and I advise you to try it out on a test box.
The install was slightly foreign to me (I tend to use redhat/fedora),
mostly at the stage of disc partitioning. It gives you no package options,
just installs everything. But, "everything" is only what is needed to be a
full-featured mapserver server: mapserver, perl/php mapscript, postGIS,
MySQL with geo-extension, ka-map , apache with php and mod perl, gdal,
proj, ogr, and a bunch of examples using the above. It does not have X,
but as it is based on slackware, a knowledgeable person can add whatever
she wants.

HostGIS is worth trying if just for the examples. You can see the same
street map served via shapefile, MySQL, PosGIS, phpmapscript,
perlmapscript, and ka-map (I may have forgotten some).

Currently I worry a bit about how updating will be handled. I have
suggested to the developers that some sort of "slapt-get" or other online
updating method would be good and they responded that they will look into
it.

Erich

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Peter Kingsbury wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm researching moving my mapserver to a Linux-based host, and today I came
> across HostGIS. I was curious if anyone has had notable success/failure with
> this package?
>
> http://www.hostgis.com/linux.html
>
> Best regards,
> - Peter

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Learning Center           FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
http://www.museum.state.il.us/     Linux user #18660