STATUS in LAYER object

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Thu Sep 8 17:26:57 EDT 2005

To have a layer visible when STATUS is set to ON, you also need to pass the name of the layer in the URL  e.g. '&layer=relief'

David.

David Fawcett
Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance
david.fawcett at moea.state.mn.us
651.215.0200

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Gregory Yetman
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:11 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] STATUS in LAYER object

Hi,

I'm new to both mapserver and the list, hopefully this question isn't
too 'newbie'.

I have a map file that works fine:

MAP
  IMAGETYPE      JPEG
  EXTENT        -180 -90 180 0
  SIZE           320 320
  SHAPEPATH      "data"
  PROJECTION
    "proj=latlong"
    "ellps=WGS84"
  END

  LAYER # sample jpeg LDEO layer
      NAME         relief
      STATUS       DEFAULT
      TYPE         RASTER
      TileIndex    'i_512/i_512.shp'
      TileItem "Location"

      PROJECTION
          "proj=merc"
          "ellps=WGS84"
       END
   END # Raster layer ends here
END # end of map file

However, if I change STATUS from DEFAULT to ON the layer does not
appear, the image produced is empty. According to the manual (definition
below), ON is what should be used in 'normal use'. So is something wrong
with my map file or is there an issue with the use of STATUS?

Thanks,

Greg

STATUS [on|off|default]

    Sets the current status of the layer. Often modified by MapServer
    itself. Default turns the layer on permanently.

    Some notes regarding the STATUS values:

        *

          In CGI mode, layers with STATUS DEFAULT cannot be turned off
          using normal mechanisms. It is recommended to set layers to
          STATUS DEFAULT while debugging a problem, but set them back to
          ON/OFF in normal use.

        *

          For WMS, layers in the server mapfile with STATUS DEFAULT are
          always sent to the client.

Gregory Yetman
Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN)
Columbia University
e-mail: gyetman (at) ciesin.columbia.edu
tel: (845) 365-8982