MySQL access and joins

Attila Csipa plists at PROMETHEUS.ORG.YU
Thu Sep 8 18:34:15 EDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 21:02, Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> > > Will simple MySQL tables work as the join table?  I believe
> > > --with-mygis will work on a non-sppatial DB
> >
> > Yes, but this will work ONLY for template based queries (this
>
> Thanks for the info.  What do you mean by template based queries?  My
> overall goal is to generate a map (with shp2img) whose mapfile defines a
> layer which has a join btw a shapefile and MySQL table, and CLASS items
> based on expressions in columns in the MySQL table.

A query defines the 'what', not the 'how'. So basically you CAN do 'find me
the shapefile points that have a mysql field value of X', but NOT DIRECTLY
'paint shapefile points with mysql field value X green' - which seems is what
you want to do with it.