[off-topic] how to "sell" GIS idea?

Bill Binko bill at BINKO.NET
Mon Sep 12 18:25:05 EDT 2005

For a bit more GIS-specific answer, I have used the following explanation
to convince a director here of the value of GIS.  He is fairly
non-technical, so it did take a few attempts, but now it's great to see
him regurgitate it :)

Most managers understand the value of a relational database, even if they
don't know how they work.  They understand that you can link information
in this table with information in that table if they have a common ID and
that you can create summaries by State/Province, or by Product Group.

Within that context, explain that GIS adds the ability to link information
based on location.  GIS gives you the ability to summarize based on new
concepts like "near this office" or "within 3 miles of a Redwood stand".

The easiest GIS app to explain (for me) has been PostGIS: they understand
what a database is, and they are willing to accept the concept of "a
description of the location or shape is stored as a field."  You add the
basic operators like "intersects" "within" and "distance" and you'll see
an amazing response.

Every time I've explained this to a business person, I've stayed with it
until they said something like, "Hey!  That means I could....[find all of
the homes on circular lakes that are good for waterskiing or some such
nonsense]".  They rapidly figure out ways to use the concept once you
present the benefits.

Open Source (in this case) is a fairly easy sell.  The closed-source
solutions are very pricey, and if you stick to a web-based presentation
layer, there is no need to distribute your modifications outside your
organization.  That means there's no issues with GPL problems that some
companies have.  Of course, you should tell them that you plan to push
back fixes and improvements that you find, but usually, proprietary
information in GIS is in the data, not the code.

I hope this helps

Bill