WCS startup problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sat Sep 17 11:31:40 EDT 2005

On 9/17/05, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I think I see the problem, is it correct to say that (Mapserver) WCS
> cannot be used to rasterize vector data? It can only be used when the
> source layer is raster?

Bart,

That is correct.  Currently at the key point in the getcoverage
implementation is calls msDrawRasterLayerLow() rather than a
generic draw layer function.   I imagine there are other parts of
the WCS support which assume raster files as well.

It might be possible to update things to support rendering from
vectors or other layer sources, but it would mean that all the
coverage resolution and such information would need to come
from metadata objects.

Generally I still think of WCS as a mechanism for describing and
returning raster datasets without altering the raw pixel values.
But, in theory at least, coverages can be broader than just rasters.

Best regards,