routing

Norman Barker nbarker at RSINC.COM
Wed Sep 21 06:40:48 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of Till Adams
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:30 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] routing

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> We need to develop a simple routing map, based on MapInfo files (but we can
> esily switch to PostGIS if needed). Is there a MapServer tool for this?
> I have find something useful at http://imaptools.com/, but this does not seem
> to be free software (and we have to stick to GFOSS).
> Any hint would be appreciated.
> All the best.
> pc

Paolo,

there is a brillant postgres extension called "pgdijkstra" from
camp2camp. You need postgres 8.0. It delivers an algorythm for
calculating the shortest path - you also may alter this by other
attributes, because you are in the database.

It's a horror to get the first data into the db (I can help) - if once
done it is quite easy and afterwards it's easy to handle.

Till

--

Hi Till,

pgdijkstra sounds very interesting, however googling for it doesn't give very much info, apologies
for my ignorance, but can you send a couple of links please.

Many thanks,

Norman