Displacement from coordinates

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Sep 26 09:09:22 EDT 2005

Nuri -

I used the US National Geodetic Survey's online calculator at http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/utm_getut.prl and got different results for your first pair:

Northing: 4677368.307
Easting:   494970.715
Zone:		   31

The only datum choices are "NAD83" and "NAD27", and I got those results by choosing NAD83.

However, I also got exactly the same results using YOUR calculator and selecting the WGS84 datum.  Are you selecting the correct datum?  I selected WGS84 at the top, entered the first pair of coordinates, and got the answer above, not your answer below.

Are you using the calculator correctly?

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: N M [mailto:mapserver at hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 5:28 AM
To: Ed McNierney; MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Displacement from coordinates

Hi,

To convert coordinates I use for example:

http://www.icc.es/geotex/egeoutmcatala2.html (a geodesic calculator)

An example of GPS coordinates and results are:

42º 14' 54.568" - 4677448.415
2º 56' 20.526" - 494971.3073

42º 14' 58.548" - 4677573.222
2º 57' 37.05" - 496724.1829

The correct containers are the little yellow squares and displaced are de blue ones:

http://www.nusvirtual.com/selectiva

The coordinates are form the first two containers in top rigth side of the map. I think you are right because I tried to place manually the containers and coordinates are displaced, so, how could I convert correctly GPS coordinates to UTM?

Thank you.

Nuri