OT: marketability for map-programmers?

Jeff Portwine jdport at VERITIME.COM
Mon Sep 26 16:44:54 EDT 2005

I know this question isn't specifically about mapserver, but I figured if
anybody could answer this question you guys could.   I've been working with
mapserver for 6 months or so now.   I started with no GIS knowledge
whatsoever, but was assigned this project in my job and over time I've
learned a lot about mapserver and mapping in general.    I very much enjoyed
working on this project because it was so different from anything else I've
ever done and would like to pursue finding a job where I could do more of
this type of work and hopefully continue to learn more about it.    I was
just curious what kind of a market is out there for this type of
programming/application development and how I might be able to find out if
any companies in my area are looking for people to do this kind of work?

Thanks!
-Jeff