Mapserver Extents

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Sep 29 09:38:53 EDT 2005

On 9/29/05, Oliver Ishmael <oliver_ishmael at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Unfortunately, i'm still having the same problems with the extents. I used
> gdalinfo as directed to get the extents of my data layer (thanks for that!),
> however, when i enter these into my mapfile, the layer is still not visible.
>
> Is there some kind a general guide for extents - i'm at a loss :(

Olly,

It is quite possible that extents are not your problem now.  I would suggest
you post a minimum sized mapfile that demonstrates your problem for
people to comment on.

> Is the extent dependent upon any of the following: Min Max-scale; Scale
> units; or EPSG projection codes;

Min and max scales can make a layer not appear.  Projections can have
a big effect.  If you are entering map extents then they should be in the
map projection, not the layer projection (if they differ).

> is there anyway to convert between coordinates and Decimal Degrees (and what
> general structure do these conform to...i have some cordinates which are 6
> figures and other mapfiles use 3 figure numbers for the extents).

Are you wanting to convert between projected coordinates and lat/long
decimal degrees?  MapServer can do this internally as needed when things
are declared properly in the mapfile.  If you need to do it at the command
line you can use the proj or cs2cs programs that come with PROJ.4.

Best regards,