groups and WMS

Armin Burger armin.burger at GMX.NET
Thu Sep 29 14:54:42 EDT 2005

Dear all,

I have a question about the behaviour of groups in a WMS. When I define
2 layers belonging to the same group, I see both layers nested under the
same group layer in the capabilities file.

But I can only access the group as a WMS layer from a client. When I
want to access the single layers belonging to that group I get an
exception. That is in principal ok, but client programs might allow to
select the single nested layers and the map will not be displayed
because of the exception. Also the reason for grouping layers is quite
often to have layers with different accuracy/resolution that should be
swapped depending on the scale. So this should happen behind the scenes
without the client noticing it.

So my question is, why are the layers belonging to the same group
displayed at all in the WMS capabilities if they cannot be used as
single ones? Would it not make sense to just return the group as a WMS
layer instead?

Armin