Crossing the date line?

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Tue Dec 5 13:56:08 EST 2006

>> W're investigating how best to handle data which crosses the date line.

> What coordinate system is your map in?  What coordinate system is the data
> in?

Everything is in WGS84 for now. A future goal, though, is to support
reprojection. I'm sorry to hear that Mapserver has trouble reprojecting
stuff that crosses the date line; I had hoped that reprojection would be
the panacea.

> Is your objective to handle map rendering requests that cross the dateline
> for map data that fill the whole -180 to 180 longitude range but stays
> within it?

I hate to say it, but: We're looking to handle all cases. Some folks have
fudged their data to go past the -180/180 box, the majority stay within
the -180/180 rectangle. It's meant for general-purpose display, so we
can't assume anything about their data except it being in WGS84.

You seem to second the advice that pasting together 2 segments is the most
flexible approach.