Mapserver+PostGIS+Charset encoding problems

Antonio Grassi agrassic at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 7 07:05:52 EST 2006

Hi. A bit late, but I would like to comment a similar problem we had. We
have the database with UTF8 encoding, and the site with UTF8 encoding. But
when rendering labels and references, they were displayed wrong when there
was a special character like the ones you mention.

We work with mapserver through php-mapscript, and we construct the mapObject
from custom XMLs on the fly. The solution we found to this problem, was to
pass text to be rendered encoded in ISO-8859-1. I don't know if it's an
issue related to mapserver, libgd or if it's not an issue at all, and it's
just something we are doing wrong, but this approach proved to work.

I hope this is of some help for you.

Bye,
Antonio