Mapserver+PostGIS+Charset encoding problems

Graham Berry at Virgin g.berry at VIRGIN.NET
Thu Dec 7 07:41:07 EST 2006

Antonio,

This is fine for most European languages but once you get in to Greek,
Russian, Turkish Arabic etc then it falls apart as these characters
cannot be represented in ISO-8859-1.

There is reference to the UTF-8 coding at
http://www.foss4g.org/FOSS4G/MAPSERVER/mpsnf-i18n-en.html but no one on
the list seems to know anything about this additional functionality.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Is there any way I can get an
answer from the development team?

Cheers,
Graham

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Antonio Grassi
Sent: 07 December 2006 12:06
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapserver+PostGIS+Charset encoding
problems

Hi. A bit late, but I would like to comment a similar problem we had. We
have the database with UTF8 encoding, and the site with UTF8 encoding.
But when rendering labels and references, they were displayed wrong when
there was a special character like the ones you mention.

We work with mapserver through php-mapscript, and we construct the
mapObject from custom XMLs on the fly. The solution we found to this
problem, was to pass text to be rendered encoded in ISO-8859-1. I don't
know if it's an issue related to mapserver, libgd or if it's not an
issue at all, and it's just something we are doing wrong, but this
approach proved to work.

I hope this is of some help for you.

Bye,
Antonio