mapserver raster documentation

John Mitchell mitchelljj98 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 17 09:53:44 EST 2006

Frank,

The reason why I had:
OUTPUTFORMAT
   NAME png
   DRIVER "GD/PNG"
   MIMETYPE "image/png"
   IMAGEMODE RGB
   EXTENSION "png"
  END
listed was that for ECW files you had DRIVER "GDAL/JP2ECW" and I am
wondering if you need a special driver for Imagine format.

In the next few months I may have to ingest 2500 DVD's of GeoTiff imagery
data covering portions of the United States with each DVD contain 1 image of
about 1.1 GB in size.  In looking over the MapServer Raster documentation I
could do the following:

a.) Keep as GeoTiff format
     1.) Convert all the images from whatever their current projection is to
WGS84 using GDALWARP.
     2.) Build internal tiling to each GeoTiff image utilizing:
gdal_translate -co TILED=YES orig.tif tiled.tif
     3.) Build internal overviews using: gdaladdo -r average *.tif 2 4 8 16
     4.) Build external tiling using: gdal_index doq_index.shp doq/*.tif
This will link all the geotiff's in the doq folder to the doq_index.shp,
which then is referenced in tileindex within layer instead of DATA.
     5.) ?When using tile indexes to manage many raster files as a single
file, it is especially important to have a overview layer that kicks in at
high (should'nt this say low instead?) scales to avoid having to open a
large number of raster files.  Building external overviews use either
gdal_merge or gdalwarp (eg gdalwarp -rc -tr 250 250 doq/*.tif overview.tif)
The 250 within the gdalwarp statement means a output resolution of 250
meters?

b.) Convert from GeoTiff to Imagine format
     1.) Convert all the images from whatever their current projection is to
WGS84 using GDALWARP.
     2.) Mosaic all the GeoTiff's and convert to Imagine format using:
gdalwarp -of HFA doq/*.tif tiled.img
     3.) Build internal overviews using: gdaladdo -r average tiled.img 2 4 8
16 32 64 128

Which method would you recommend a or b as far as performance?

Thanks,

John J. Mitchell

--
John J. Mitchell