ArcSDE, FastCGI+IIS

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 21 05:20:11 EST 2006

Thanks Howard and Paul

I think incorporating ArcSDE / FastCGI in the Buildkit for MS4W would be
great as this is the only real method of getting it working in a
satisfactory manner - speed wise.

We seem to be bombing out around every 6th or 7th request so within our
wrappers we've allowed it to re run MapServer up to 5 times - not the best
method but should suffice.  I guess the fun part now is to see how we can
DEBUG this to find out where the memory issues may lie.  Saying that it may
be our configuration of FastCGI / ArcSDE and not MapServer - I'll have to
look into this further.

We'll definitely pass back our findings regarding the IIS / FastCGI / ArcSDE
/ MapServerCGI but will also try everything running on Apache / Windows to
see if that is better.

Does anyone know of any good process / memory monitoring software to try and
understand where these leaks could be (if they exist)???

For some background we use the MapServer CGI which is all wrapped up in some
C# wrappers that has an XML template (as opposed to an HTML Template) of all
the parameters returned by MapServer.  We did this for two reasons -
simplicity / stability due to the pure speed of the CGI (great being able to
test why something hasn't worked if you have the whole query / url string)
but also that the CGI is so flexible.  We have recently realised that using
nquery you can specify lots of layers with their own template and their own
query types / to9lerances - we used to query every layer one by one by re
running the CGI but when we hit ArcSDE the speed dropped from about 6
seconds (we hit about 30 layers for information) to over 30 hence why we
really needed FastCGI.  We now hit MapServer with all thirty layers in one
go and testing against shape files the results are returned in around a
second (from the 6) - we're hoping that ArcSDE should be about 3 seconds.

As always - much appreciated

Regards
Mike

  What we have now done is that is we get an error back when