Data Discovery . . .

Sun Jan 22 22:17:59 EST 2006

Actually HTML legends now expose that information for the same purpose. You can get at layer and class minscale/maxscale values through the HTML layer template.  We've been using them to write javascript for use with AJAX to build DHTML legends. You could certainly write out more general metadata (XML or whatever).

This is new as of 4.8 and Jeff has kindly updated the documentation to reflect these new tags.

Steve

>>> Bob Basques <bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US> 01/20/06 5:09 PM >>>
All,

Is there any way to query MapServer CGI about what scale a layer turns
on/off for display?

Othere than a blank image, is there a method to ask mapServer when a
layer is visible (based on scale).

we haven't done any of the WMS stuff yet (It's coming, but we're not
there yet), I was just wondering about a short term solution to this
with just MapServer.  Could I use some sort of User variable in the CGI
call, or possibly fake something together easily in the Mapfile to clue
the client in on whether a Layer should be visible or not at a
particular scale.

Thanks

bobb