Horrible Looking WMS Raster Imagery

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Jan 23 22:17:17 EST 2006

ed at topozone.com

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jennifer Zeisloft
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 10:00 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Horrible Looking WMS Raster Imagery

Greetings All,

We have been noticing that some (but not all) WMS raster images look
pretty terrible (extremely low resolution compared to what they should
be) when added to our MapServer application.  For instance, from
TerraServer (http://terraservice.net/ogcmap.ashx), USGS Digital Ortho
Quads are virtually useless regardless of scale, while USGS DRGs look
decent.  Daily MODIS imagery from NASA JPL World Map Service
(http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?) has also typically been a problem.
And there are others...

I have recently been playing with GDAL to display our own rasters, but
also partially with the hope that it might somehow magically fix this
problem (of course it hasn't).

I am wondering whether the display problem is local or if it is on the
data custodian's end, and whether this is typically the case.  Is there
any way to correct it?  If it is at the custodial end, what might be
done differently to increase the display resolution for WMS clients (so
that we don't make the same mistake)?

I really appreciate any hints or ideas you can offer.

Thanks much!

Jennifer Zeisloft
UW Sea Grant