auto load mapserver information into html document

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Jul 6 18:03:26 EDT 2006

Albert Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am using a book for exmaples for creating map files and html
> documents.  In the book it shows you how to create a html templates and
> get the information from the mapserver to load in the html document.  So
> basically you have a blank html with a submit button that you click.  It
> then loads the html template with the mapserver information.
>  The question I have is how do you load the mapserver information in the
> html automacitly without using a template and click a button? It loads
> the information up when you click on web link to that web page.
>  Would that be something like javascript calling for the map server?
> Where do I start? Can anyone help me?

Albert,

I'm not a great web developer, but I think the example "initialize" form is
just pushing a bunch of hidden form variables into the url.  For instance,
when I click on the initialize button for a simple example, I get an url
like:

   http://gdal/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=%2Fu%2Fwww%2Frot_ortho%2Fdemo.map&zoomsize=2

The map, and zoomsize variables are being set from forms variables.  You
can just do the same thing in a direct link to the mapserv cgi url.

Best regards,