error during make (mac os x)

Andrew Wiens awiens at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 11 17:53:13 EDT 2006

Hello.  I've been trying to build mapserver on Mac OS X 10.4.7 (Intel), but
have had no success.  I don't think that the available precompiled binaries
will work for my application as I need the Ruby Mapscript libraries.  I've
included the error and configure output below.  Any help solving the problem
would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks. --Andy

I'm getting the following error:

gcc -O2 -fPIC -Wall   -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA  -DHAVE_VSNPRINTF  -DUSE_EPPL
-DUSE_PROJ -DUSE_WMS_SVR         -DUSE_GD_GIF -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG
-DUSE_GD_WBMP -DUSE_GD_FT -DGD_HAS_GDIMAGEGIFPTR -DGD_HAS_GETBITMAPFONTS
-DUSE_PDF   -DUSE_OGR -DUSE_GDAL -DUSE_GEOS -DUSE_ICONV    -DUSE_POSTGIS
-DUSE_THREAD -DUSE_ZLIB -I/usr/local/include  -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/pgsql/include     -I/usr/local/include
shp2img.o  -L. -lmap -L/usr/local/lib -lgd -ljpeg -lfreetype -lpng -lz
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11  -lpdf -ljpeg -lfreetype -lpng -lz
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11  -L/usr/local/lib -lproj -ljpeg
-L/usr/local/lib -lgdal  -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq    -L/usr/local/lib
-lgeos  -lpthread -liconv  -lz -lm -lstdc++  -o shp2img
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
__Unwind_Resume
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [shp2img] Error 1

My configuration configure options and output are as follows:

./configure \
        --mandir=/usr/local/share/man \
        --with-threads \
        --with-proj=/usr/local \
        --with-gdal=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config \
        --with-ogr=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config \
        --with-gd=/usr/local \
        --with-xpm=/usr/X11R6 \
        --with-geos=/usr/local/bin/geos-config \
        --with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config \
        --with-freetype=/usr/local/bin/freetype-config \
        --with-httpd=/usr/sbin/httpd

tfo:~/src/mapserver-4.8.3 andy$ ./config_opts
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for flex... flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for bison... bison -y
checking if compiler supports -R... no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-rpath,... no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-R... no
checking for exp in -lm... yes
checking for __gxx_personality_v0 in -lstdc++... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strlcat... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
MapServer Version from map.h: '4.8.3'
configure: checking where FreeType 2.x is installed...
        using libfreetype from -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -lz
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... yes
        using libfreetype -lfreetype from system libs.
configure: checking where Zlib is installed...
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
        using libz from system libs (-DUSE_ZLIB).
configure: checking where PNG is installed...
checking for png_init_io in -lpng... yes
        using libpng from system libs.
configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support...
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
        using libjpeg from system libs.
configure: checking where libXpm is installed...
        using libXpm from -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11
configure: checking where libiconv is installed...
checking for iconv_open in -lc... no
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... yes
        using libiconv from system libs.
        libiconv found. Enabling internationalization (-DUSE_ICONV)
configure: checking for GD 2.0.16 or higher...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... yes
        using libgd 2.0.16 (or higher) from -L/usr/local/lib -lgd -ljpeg
-lfreetype -lpng -lz -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11
checking for gdImageGif in -lc... yes
checking for gdImagePng in -lc... yes
checking for gdImageJpeg in -lc... yes
checking for gdImageWBMP in -lc... yes
checking for gdImageStringFT in -lc... yes
checking for gdImageGifPtr in -lc... yes
checking for gdFontGetTiny in -lc... yes
        using GD ( -DUSE_GD_GIF -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG -DUSE_GD_WBMP
-DUSE_GD_FT -DGD_HAS_GDIMAGEGIFPTR -DGD_HAS_GETBITMAPFONTS) from /usr/local.
configure: checking whether we should include PDF support...
checking for PDF_setlinewidth in -lpdf... yes
checking for PDF_setrgbcolor in -lpdf... yes
checking for PDF_moveto in -lpdf... yes
checking for PDF_curveto in -lpdf... yes
checking for PDF_show_xy in -lpdf... yes
        using libpdf from system libs.
configure: checking whether we should include EPPL7 support...
        including EPPL7 support.
configure: checking whether we should include PROJ.4 support...
checking for pj_transform in -lproj... yes
        using PROJ.4 from /usr/local.
configure: checking whether we should include thread safe support...
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
        using -lpthread from system libs.
configure: checking whether we should include ESRI SDE support...
        ESRI SDE support not requested.
configure: checking whether we should compile in MPATROL support...
        MPATROL support not requested.
checking if GEOS support requested... yes, user supplied geos-config
(/usr/local/bin/geos-config)
configure: checking whether we should include OGR support...
        OGR enabled (-DUSE_OGR).
checking if GDAL support requested... yes, user supplied gdal-config
(/usr/local/bin/gdal-config)
checking checking ms JPEG output... no we, have GDAL available.
configure: checking whether we should include TIFF support...
        disabled since gdal is in use
checking if PostGIS support requested... yes, user supplied pg_config
checking if MyGIS support requested... no
checking if OracleSpatial support requested... no
checking if MING/Flash support requested... no
configure: checking whether we should include WMS Server support...
        OGC WMS compatibility enabled (-DUSE_WMS_SVR).
configure: checking whether we should include WFS Server support...
        OGC WFS Server support not requested.
configure: checking whether we should include WCS Server support...
        OGC WCS Server support not requested.
configure: checking whether we should include WMS Client Connections
support...
configure: checking whether we should include WFS Client Connections
support...
configure: checking for curl-config...
configure: checking whether FastCGI support should be enabled...
        FastCGI support not enabled.
configure: checking HTTPD server (Apache) version...
        using user-supplied httpd (/usr/sbin/httpd)
        /usr/sbin/httpd version is Apache/1.3.33 (1003033).
Compiling with -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA.
checking compiler warnings... basic
configure: checking whether we should enable debug features...
configure: checking for PHP/MapScript module options...
        PHP/MapScript module not configured.
checking if --enable-runpath requested... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating mapscript/java/Makefile
config.status: creating mapscript/csharp/Makefile