Porjection and WMS

Daniel Goetz madprof at GMX.CH
Thu Jul 13 03:05:29 EDT 2006

Hi community,

I have some questions concernig the PROJECTION-Objects in the MAP-object as well as in the LAYER-object. And second concening PROJECTION, WMS_SRS and WMS-services. Of course I havae read the mapserver wms server how-to as well as the mapserver mapfile ref, but I could not understand exactly. Perhaps anybody of you might bring some light in my darkness.

What stands the PORJECTION-object in the MAP-object for (not in case of WMS)? In my understanding it defines the projetion of the output image that mapserver generates. Is this true? And if so can I choose every procetion in the PROJECTION-object of the MAP-object regardless of the projection of the single layers?

What stands the PROJECTION-object in the LAYER-object for (not in the case of a WMS)? In my understanding this should be the projection in which the input data are recorded. Is this true? So for each LAYER there is definitively only one type of projection possible in fact the one in which the original input data are recorded.

And now the case of a WMS-Server:

What stands the PROJECTION-object in the MAP-object of a WMS-service for in contrast to the WMS_SRS parameter of the METADATA in the MAP-object? Is this the same as in "normal" mapserver applications and the PROJECTION-object gives the projection mapserver shall project its output-images? What is the difference between PROJECTION-object and WMS_SRS parameters in the MAP-object?

And what about the PROCETION-object and the WMS_SRS-metadata in the LAYER-objects? should this be the declaration of the "real" PROCETION/SRS the input-data are in? And what is the difference between PROJECTION and WMS_SRS in this case?

Thank you for your efforts and your help. Thank you.

regards

Daniel Goetz