R: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] 500 Internal Server Errors

Antonio Iandolo aiandolo at GRUPPOAS.IT
Thu Jul 13 03:04:15 EDT 2006

Hi Roland,
well...an internal error is quite generic to be sure about the
reason...I guess it could be the interface to the db...I had a similar
problem with oracle and I finally realized that php was using a wrong
oci.dll (earlier version) to connect the database.

Could you try a simple script just with the logon to the db?

Antonio

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] Per
conto di Roland Martin
Inviato: mercoledì 12 luglio 2006 18.03
A: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Oggetto: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] 500 Internal Server Errors

OK, this is probably yet another stupid query to which I should know the
answer... however, I'm on a roll here.

I've got an application which is intermittently (i.e. most of the time,
but not always) throwing a 500 Internal Server Error. The application is
almost a direct clone of another which does not exhibit the same error.

I've spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out why this might be,
and as far as I can tell, it's something to do with the PostGIS database
which holds most of the data. If I remove all the PostGIS layers, it
seems to work fine (although interestingly doesn't work if they're all
in the map file but turned off - does MapScript try to load the layers
regardless?)

The database contains converted CAD (DWG) data with typically stupid
contents (meaningless fields, escape characters, etc). I wondered if it
might be to do with the sizes of the tables (>30 000 records in each),
but dissolving them doesn't seem to have made much difference. At the
moment I'm leaning towards thinking it may be because of the
aforementioned escape characters (looking down the tables, a number just
contain the entry " which might upset things; others start with an
asterisk). However, some of the tables causing the issue don't contain
anything nearly as nasty.

The error is being thrown on loading the map; approximately 80-90% of
the time.

Also of interest may be the following gunk from the error logs:
[Wed Jul 12 16:29:11 2006] [error] [client x] Premature end of script
headers: php-cgi.exe, referer: http://x/lbia_dev/
[Wed Jul 12 16:51:08 2006] [error] [client x] Premature end of script
headers: php-cgi.exe, referer: http://x/lbia_dev/
(etc)

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ta,
Roland.

MS4W 2.0
MapServer 4.8.3
Chameleon for MS4W 2.4
PgSQL 8.1
etc 1.0

--
Please note my new email address. Use other addresses at your peril.