Help for standalone java client

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 20 02:52:38 EDT 2006

I think you have two choices:

1) build a thick client which embeds all the map logic (zooming,
browsing, etc) and will have direct access to the data sources (shape
files, oracle or postgis) that are used to draw the map

2) build a GUI that wraps around a WMS/WFS client that forwards
WMS/WFS requests to a mapserver application running on another server
through http

The first solution is more complicated and will probably require you
to do a lot of work. Moreover the computer running the app must have
direct access to the data sources, which is not always possible.

The second solution is probably the one I'd choose because it is
simpler, can be remoted better because the client does not need to
access shapes, postgis or anything and http is usually allowed through
proxies. Also I think that uDig already does this so what is left to
do for you is to create and deploy the WMS/WFS server.

Regards,
Umberto