Character set encoding problem

Øyvind Eide oyvind.eide at MUSPRO.UIO.NO
Wed Jun 14 07:21:45 EDT 2006

I have a problem with the character set encoding for which I find no
solution neither on the Mapserver web site nor in the "Beginning
Mapserver" book.

I have data in an Oracle 10gR2 database in ISO-8859-1 encoded columns
(WE8ISO8859P1) and the names of my geometries appear correctly in a
sqlplus search. But on the test mapserver PNG all characters beyond
decimal 127 (such as æøå) come out as '?'.

I have defined the encoding for the layer to 'ISO-8859-1'. That gives
me the labels with '?' for the problem characters. If I write
something wrong for the encoding, such as 'ISO-8859-', I get no labels
at all, which is right according to the documentation. But if I enter
a totally different encoding, such as 'EUC-JP', I get the same
situation as with 'ISO-8859-1': Labels with '?' for the problem
characters.

Here is the layer from my mapfile:

LAYER
    NAME N250ADM
    CONNECTIONTYPE oraclespatial
    CONNECTION "username/pw at service"
    DATA "GEOM FROM (select geom, navn from USD_KART_KARTV.KVN250_ADM_F) USING SRID 82344"
    STATUS on
    TYPE polygon
    MINSCALE 50001
    LABELCACHE on
    LABELITEM NAVN
    CLASS
     NAME "N 250 adm"
     STYLE
       COLOR 200 200 200
       OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
     END
     LABEL
	ENCODING ISO-8859-1
	COLOR 0 0 0
	SIZE 10
        TYPE truetype
        FONT luximr
     END
    END
  END

I would be most grateful for any suggestion!

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide