Mapserver caching and map generation

tim tim.bowden at WESTNET.COM.AU
Fri Mar 3 09:39:41 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 16:19 -0500, Ed McNierney wrote:
> Emmanuel -
>
> The client ALWAYS requests an image that's "not in the cache".  It's not
> a cache.  It's a temporary directory where MapServer writes files.  If
> five clients request the same image from MapServer five times in one
> second, MapServer will ALWAYS create five different temporary files, and
> will return five unique URLs to five different files - even though
> they're all the same image.
>
> 	- Ed

I have seen this appear to happen when 'chaining' wfs requests.  The
setup is as follows:

Central wfs/wms server   ----->   agency wms/wfs server ---> sde server

The central server 'chains' to multiple agency servers that point to the
sde server of the respective data custodian.  When a request on a layer
is made against the central server it then makes a request on the
relevant agency server which returns the required gml which is stored in
a temp file on the central server.  So far, so good.  We can turn off
the agency box and make the same request of the central server and get
the same response back, despite the agency box being turned off.

This behaviour was picked up by one of our testers helping evaluate
various ogc servers for a large whole of govt implementation.

His report to me:
Tim,
    MapServer appears to use the tmp directory as a cache (intentionally
or not) during cascaded WFS requests. MapServer stores the GML returned
from the remote service in the tmp directory. Subsequent WFS requests
for the same layer are not forwarded to the remote server (nothing in
Apache logs on the remote); however, deleting the contents of the tmp
directory causes the next WFS request to be forwarded to the remote
service.

Interestingly, the file names in the tmp directory appear to be related
to the request: similar requests (same layers, different bbox) cause the
same file name to be created in the tmp.

Regards, Geoff

This was with 4.6.2.  Haven't tried it yet with 4.8.1.  Is it possible a
bug has crept in?

Regards,
Tim Bowden

--