MapServer incompatibility with RHEL4/CENTOS4.2

Lowell.Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Fri Mar 3 09:41:05 EST 2006

Doyon, Jean-Francois writes:

> Hello,
>
> OK well I've tracked down the source of my problem to the operating system
> itself it seems.
>
> Regardless of the versions/combinations of mapserver/gd/freetype I use,
> there are definite visual rendering problems when on this OS.  On RedHat
> 7.3, everything is fine!
>
> Example:
>
> http://atlas.gc.ca/family-good.gif
> http://atlas.gc.ca/family-bad.gif
>
> Note the small dot that appears on the symbol?
>
> Also:
>
> http://atlas.gc.ca/the-market-good.gif
> http://atlas.gc.ca/the-market-bad.gif
>
> Notice how on the bad version, a bunch of point symbols are missing?
>
> I tried various combinations of:
>
> MapServer 4.6.1 and 4.8.1
> FreeType 2.0.9 and 2.1.9
> GD 2.0.28 and 2.0.33
>
> A given combination works on 7.3, but not on CentOS.
>
> Without luck.  The problem with the strange shape of the symbols (
> http://atlas.gc.ca/mapserver-symbol-problem.png ) seemes to be related to
> the version of FreeType for some reason?  FreeType 2.0.9 acts as we expect
> it to, FreeType 2.1.9 does not.  There may be cumulative effects also.
>
> CentOS 4.2 uses GCC 3.4.4 and GLIBC 2.3.4.  I had gotten a horrible crash
> message at some point with a version of mapserver on this OS
> (http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0602&L=mapserver-users&P=R60802&I=-3&
> X=106ECE1CAE6B73E23F), but upgrading from 4.6.1 to 4.8.1 had fixed it.  This
> was related to memory allocation.  Could something related to that be
> causing this?  Turns out I've got 4.6.1 running on this platform now, but
> that really didn't help.
>
> I'm out of ideas :( Anyone?

J.F.,

Is the 7.3 box a 32-bit and the RHEL box a 64-bit kernel by any chance (you
may have already stated that in your previous "double free detected.." post
but I don't remember). Not that I know of a particular fix, but we have
certainly had strange problems here also.

Lowell