shapes to MySQL

Fri Mar 3 13:57:20 EST 2006

Ker Nulov wrote:
> Ohh, well, my shapefile 78 MB and it has 140,000
> polygons. displaying 1km of zoom taks 1 sec, this is
> too much for our application. I bet a query in MySQL
> will be faster.

What makes you think that? Where IS the performance going to? Search for
the objects, reading them from disk, of rendering the objects? If you
don't know then you are probably trying to optimize the wrong thing.

Many of us have been working with mapserver for years and we have looked
into these questions and I can tell you (as Attila did) that shapefile
are the fastest. Do all you shapefiles have spatial indexes *.qix files
associated with them? Start there.

To answer your question, NO, you can not put your shapefiles in MySQL
and render then via mapserver. You can put them in postGIS, but they
will be slower than shapefiles.

-Steve W.