Mapserver on Linux vs Windows

Sture Dingsøyr candalt at ONLINE.NO
Fri Mar 3 16:39:58 EST 2006

Hi there

We have a server running Mapserver on Linux (Red Hat 8). Is is used to generate maps, mainly from shapefiles. But also some layers from Postgis/WMS. To do this we use PHP and MapScrip...

We are now considering the possibility to port our solution from Linux to Windows, mainly du to the fact that maintaining new versions of Mapserver on Windows are quite easy with the pre-built binary package that exists for Windows (no compiling is needed).

Does anybody have any experience on how a Mapserver solution works on Windows compared to Linux. I am mainly thinking about speed and performance?

Does Mapserver work faster on Linux?

Regards Sture