MapServer in kiosks (was Re: map file in tmp directory)

Puneet Kishor punkish at EIDESIS.ORG
Mon Mar 6 12:13:49 EST 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Ed McNierney wrote:

> Puneet -
>
> As opposed to map mode (mode=map), in which case the image is returned
> directly in response to the HTTP request and no temporary file is
> written to disk.
> ..

Now I know, and it shows my ignorance. I have never worked with
MapServer, the cgi (other than a few clicks here and there on the
Itasca demo) -- always used Perl/MapScript.

I know that Steve Lime (and others) have done wonders with cgi
MapServer, and I should learn how. I may have a chance to implement
MapServer in standalone kiosks kinda situations, and on thinking about
it, it seems that the cgi version would be simpler, yet very capable.

Am I wrong/right in my assumptions?

Anyone? (not just Ed). Anyone who has had any experience implementing a
GIS app in an unattended kiosk situation?

--
Puneet Kishor