Install at Shared Hosting Facility, can it be done???

Puneet Kishor punkish at EIDESIS.ORG
Mon Mar 6 18:23:52 EST 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 5:03 PM, KevinC (UD) wrote:

> Keith Fraley wrote:
> I am in serious need of setting up mapserver at my
> hosting facility (lunarpages.com)  I am on a shared
> linux box with no access to shell, can I get this
> installed?  Where do I start?

> In my opinion, no shell access means no realistic possibility of using
> Mapserver.  Ask your host how much co-location of your own Linux box
> would cost.  I pay $600/yr and consider it the only way to go.  Of
> course, you must educate yourself in Linux, then Apache, then finally
> MapServer.   This is a path not to be taken by those who give up
> easily.

a cheaper option, for starters, might be to get a starter VPS (Virtual
Private Server) account. They can be had for as little as $9-10 per
month, and give you your own private server with you as the root. Just
google for VPS.

Once you learn the ropes, you can bump up to a better account level, at
maybe a better provider such as Linode.

Yes, eventually colo your own for the best results.

--
Puneet Kishor