new mapserver site for Central America; thanks for all the help!

Puneet Kishor punkish at EIDESIS.ORG
Sun Mar 12 13:12:42 EST 2006

On Mar 12, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Emilio Mayorga wrote:

> Puneet & Blaise,
>
> Thank you for your feedback. I test with Firefox and IE, but have
> never tried a KHTML-based browser (either Safari or Konqueror). I
> didn't realize that Gecko was more forgiving of non-standard HTML than
> KHTML, that's great to know.

Well, it may not be true, but that is my guess. Also, keep in mind that
Webkit (Apple's extended fork of KHTML) is slightly different, although
Apple contributes its changes back to the KHTML project. But the Safari
team has been pretty conscientious about sticking to standards. It is
surprising to see Gecko doing things differently from Safari.

> I don't have access to a Mac, and while
> the site is served on a Linux server, I don't have a local linux box
> where I could conveniently test on Konqueror. Is there a KHTML-based
> browser that runs on Windows that you'd recommend?

Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck. A quick search reveals
(from wikipedia)

> KHTML and WebKit-based browsers
> The open source KHTML layout engine is developed by the KDE project.
> WebKit is an open-source fork of that engine by Apple Computer.
> Konqueror
> Safari
> ABrowse
> Atlantis [1]
> OmniWeb
> Shiira
> SkyKruzer
> SunriseBrowser [2]

None of the browsers listed above are for Windows. They are either
Linux, or mainly Webkit (Mac OS X), or some other OS.

> Unfortunately, my html is old and in table hell, but getting the site
> to work on KHTML browsers will be a nice long-term goal.

yeah, I took a peek at the source, and you are right about that. On the
other hand, if your app is not going to be used by Konqueror/Safari
type users (definitely we are a minority), then it may not be worth it
for you to fix it, especially if you can't lay your hands on those
browsers to test.

--
Puneet Kishor