Defining simple symbols

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Mar 14 12:43:33 EST 2006

Dave,

Do you have a symbols.sym file that contains a symbol definition named
'circle'?  Is there a SYMBOLSET line in your map file with the proper
path to your symbol file?

Alternatively, do you define a symbol named 'circle' directly in your
map file?

My guess is that MapServer can't find a symbol definition for 'circle'.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Dave Stone
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:38 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Defining simple symbols

I'm having no joy getting off the ground with a simple familiarisation
exercise -- today's headbanger is drawing dots! My layer is:

  LAYER # test query layer
    CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
    NAME          saint_dedications
    #CONNECTION    "user=erdb13 dbname=stdraft host=localhost port=5432"
    CONNECTION    "user=erdb13 dbname=stdraft"
    DATA          "geom from loccoords"
    STATUS        ON
    TYPE          POINT
    CLASS
      NAME        "locations"
      STYLE
      SYMBOL
        NAME      "circle"
        TYPE      ELLIPSE
        FILLED    TRUE
        POINTS    2 2 END
      END
      COLOR       255 0 0
      OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
      END

The data is being fetched OK from the database, because until I put the
SYMBOL definition in, the layer showed tiny red marks (which I want now
to replace with larger red dots). But all I get is:

getSymbol(): Symbol definition error. Parsing error near (NAME):(line
132)

on the line after SYMBOL. Can anyone tell me what's wrong please?