Improving Performance... {Scanned}

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Mar 21 12:31:42 EST 2006

Carola,

Another idea with roads is that you show major highways when zoomed out
and increase detail as you zoom in.  The best way to do this is to
create separate shapefiles and layers and display them based on scale.

Of course, it you just use the same roads shapefile and use classes to
pull out the major highways, you are only going to slow things down even
more.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Steven Monai
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:08 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Improving Performance... {Scanned}

Carola:

I have not personally tried it, but PostGIS provides a Simplify()
function that could be used to generate simplified datasets for use at
smaller scales. Quoted from the online manual (at
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch06.html):

Simplify(geometry, tolerance)

    Returns a "simplified" version of the given geometry using the
Douglas-Peuker algorithm. Will actually do something only with
(multi)lines and (multi)polygons but you can safely call it with any
kind of geometry. Since simplification occurs on a object-by-object
basis you can also feed a GeometryCollection to this function. Note that
returned geometry might loose its simplicity (see IsSimple).

Regards,
-SM