shptree and tileindex

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Mar 21 15:20:11 EST 2006

David -

No, the order doesn't matter.  The tileindex tells MapServer which
shapefiles might possibly be needed when drawing the current map
request; the shptree index is used to quickly locate objects inside a
given shapefile.  You can use both, either, or neither, and you can
update them in any order.  Remember that if you update a shapefile so
that it covers a different area, you'll need to update the tileindex in
order to accurately use that modified shapefile.

And since the tileindex is itself a shapefile, you can use shptree to
index it, too.

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:59 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] shptree and tileindex

When using a combination of the shptree and tileindex utilities, does it
matter which order they are ran?  I have tile-indexed my data first, and
then ran shptree on the individual shape files and the tileindex files.
It occurred to me that the tileindex files point to the .shp files, and
wondered if this is optimized.  (I read somewhere that you should not
specify file extensions in .map files when using quad indexes, I'm
wondering if this is true also in the tileindex files.)  Do I need to
tileindex the shape files after quad-indexing them, and then quad-index
the tileindex files, or am I obsessing over nothing?

David S. Hunter
Sr. Software Engineer
Fidelity National Geographic Solutions
division of Fidelity National Financial