Improving Performance... {Scanned}

Jelmer Baas baas at SPEERIT.NL
Tue Mar 21 17:12:14 EST 2006

Fawcett, David wrote:
> Jelmer,
>
> If you search the archives, there has been a lot written about how to
> optimize your data.  Ed McNierney has written many great posts on this.

I'll look into this. Might be wise to create an overview page of this,
tbh. All the Mapserver info is too scattered around to be of much use.

> My guess is that you are trying to load more data than you really need
> to.  If you are drawing the full extent of your shapefile, (zoomed out),
> do you really need the fine detail in your data set.  This is a case
> where a thin or more generalized version of your original data set would
> be useful.

No, this isn't the case. I carefully determined what layers should be
visible and which ones shouldn't be.

> When setting up this more detailed layer, you will want to tile your
> data and use a tileindex.  This way, you don't need to read your whole
> data set to just draw one small area of it.

I might do this, but it's not possible with .tab files, is it?

> Of course, you will also want spatial indexes.

Like I said before, I am using indeces. If I would have them, drawing a
single image would take half an hour.

One speed improvement I'd like is switching from PNG24 to GIF when
possible. As in, I have two layers with sattelite images. When I turn
them off, I'd like mapserver to switch to GIF instead of PNG24... Any
possibility  to do this in the map file?

--
Jelmer