Improving Performance... {Scanned}

Jelmer Baas baas at SPEERIT.NL
Tue Mar 21 17:08:03 EST 2006

Fawcett, David wrote:
> Carola,
>
> Another idea with roads is that you show major highways when zoomed out
> and increase detail as you zoom in.  The best way to do this is to
> create separate shapefiles and layers and display them based on scale.
>
> Of course, it you just use the same roads shapefile and use classes to
> pull out the major highways, you are only going to slow things down even
> more.

We (as in, the company I work for) does this already. I defined the
layers so that they are drawn at different zoom levels (and they are all
different .TAB files). However, this has a few drawbacks:

- The layers aren't simplified. As in, when you start drawing a layer,
you (mapserver ;)) draws it all
- The .map file grows in size and becomes harder to handle

On a side note, can anyone give me an overview of all scripting that's
possible in a .map file? Like I said, it's growing and I would love to
use at least SOME dynamic stuff in it...

--
Jelmer