Following Bill Kropla's "Beginning Mapserver"

KevinC (UD) kevinc at UPTIMEDATA.COM
Tue Mar 28 20:19:25 EST 2006

Hello, list.

I'm a newbie trying to stringently follow Bill Kropla's instructions on compiling MapServer in his recent book "Beginning MapServer - Open Source GIS Development".  My OS is Clark Connect 3.2, a Red Hat distro with a totally standard directory structure.

The strategy is to compile libraries step-by-step through each dependency, starting with zlib and proceeding to shapelib, then finally MapServer itself.

All of the libraries appear to compile into usr/local/lib as they should.  Then disaster: when I compile shapelib I get an error message that it cannot find Proj4, one of its dependencies.  But Proj4 is indeed there.

Does this suggest anything to anyone?  Mucho thanks in advance.

Kevin Carpenter
UptimeData.com