Following Bill Kropla's "Beginning Mapserver"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Mar 28 21:06:15 EST 2006

KevinC (UD) wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I'm a newbie trying to stringently follow Bill Kropla's instructions on
> compiling MapServer in his recent book "Beginning MapServer - Open
> Source GIS Development".  My OS is Clark Connect 3.2, a Red Hat distro
> with a totally standard directory structure.
>
> The strategy is to compile libraries step-by-step through each
> dependency, starting with zlib and proceeding to shapelib, then finally
> MapServer itself.
>
> All of the libraries appear to compile into usr/local/lib as they
> should.  Then disaster: when I compile shapelib I get an error message
> that it cannot find Proj4, one of its dependencies.  But Proj4 is indeed
> there.

Kevin,

Well, first, you don't really need Shapelib.  A modified copy of the Shapelib
code is already embedded in MapServer and GDAL/OGR.

But if you want it anyways, try editing contrib/Makefile in Shapelib, and
changing the GEOOBJ from:

GEOOBJ	=	./shpgeo.o -lm -lproj

GEOOBJ	=	./shpgeo.o -lm -L/usr/local/lib -lproj

Best regards,