[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Limit of 1 label per polygon

Fri Oct 6 09:59:20 EDT 2006

Léveillé wrote:

> I didn't mean I actually had performance issues.
> I just THOUGHT that the few calculations made by MapServer to check if more
> than one label had to be placed in each polygon would be slower than
> systematically placing only one label (less calculation). This is the reason
> why I was asking.

Hi James,

If I'm not mistaken, the only way you can end up with multiple labels
for a given polygon feature would be if your polygon is split in
multiple parts (multiple shapes), in which case you may end up with up
to one label per shape.

If your dataset contains split plygons then one solution to get optimal
performance would be to preprocess your data and merge the polygons that
are split. The other alternative is using MINDISTANCE, I don't think the
overhead would be that bad unless the polygons are split in tons of tiny
parts... and in this case anyway, the time for processing/rendering each
individual tiny part is probably going to be more significant than the
handling of the MINDISTANCE.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette