IHO S-57 Files

Chance Yohman cyohman at TECHNOLOGYSYSTEMSINC.COM
Tue Oct 10 18:34:14 EDT 2006

I am trying to do this in Windows XP using the most recent version of ms4w.

1) I am following this tutorial-
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/S57/

2) I use US1BS02M.000 (Bering Sea - Southern Part B) from
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartServerV2.0/jsp/index.jsp

3) I run: ogrinfo us1bs02m.000:

ERROR 4: S57 Driver doesn't support update.
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `US1BS02M.000'
using driver `S57' successful.
1: DSID (None)
2: Point (Point)
3: Line (Line String)
4: Area (Polygon)
5: Meta (None)

This is different than from the page at the top.

4) I try running: ogrinfo us1bs02m.000 DEPARE

ERROR 4: S57 Driver doesn't support update.
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `US1BS02M.000'
using driver `S57' successful.

This is different than from the page at the top.

5) I use the following map file
MAP

IMAGETYPE PNG
EXTENT 164 47 180 62
SIZE 800 600
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

LAYER
NAME s57
TYPE POLYGON
STATUS DEFAULT
CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
CONNECTION "/ms4w/apps/tutorial/data/s57/US1BS02M.000, 3" #The Area Layer
CLASS
        COLOR 247 237 219
        OUTLINECOLOR 120 120 120
END

END # Layer

END

6) I try this call-
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/tutorial/htdocs/s57.map&
layer=s57&mode=map

I get a white image.

Could someone please correct me or point me in the right direction for
visualizing S-57 data?  I do not need a complete visualization (though,
eventually a complete one would be nice).

On a completely different note, has anyone tried visualizing DNCs, SENCs, or
VPF into Mapserver?
http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/dnc/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&beanID=1714
98598&viewID=detail_view#0

I want to visualize DNCS, but I can accept converting to SENC or VPF to
obtain my goal (for now).

Graciously,
Chance Yohman
Engineer