IHO S-57 Files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Oct 10 19:15:12 EDT 2006

Chance Yohman wrote:
> I am trying to do this in Windows XP using the most recent version of ms4w.
>
> 1) I am following this tutorial-
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/S57/
>
> 2) I use US1BS02M.000 (Bering Sea - Southern Part B) from
> http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartServerV2.0/jsp/index.jsp
>
> 3) I run: ogrinfo us1bs02m.000:
>
> ERROR 4: S57 Driver doesn't support update.
> Had to open data source read-only.
> INFO: Open of `US1BS02M.000'
> using driver `S57' successful.
> 1: DSID (None)
> 2: Point (Point)
> 3: Line (Line String)
> 4: Area (Polygon)
> 5: Meta (None)
>
> This is different than from the page at the top.

Chance,

When you get the above list of layers it is because the GDAL_DATA
environment variable isn't set.  Try running C:\MS4W\setenv.bat first.

However this doesn't really explain why the mapfile didn't work since
it should have the environmnent variables set via the apache config file.

The problem might be the use of "layer number 3" in the connection string.
If you want DEPARE I would instead using:

  CONNECTION "/ms4w/apps/tutorial/data/s57/US1BS02M.000"
  DATA "DEPARE"

Using the layer numbers instead of layer names is inherently unstable
as demonstrated in this case where a recent introduction of the DSID layer
has resulted in all other layers being renumbered.  It is also bad karma
depending on having the layer number in the connection string since in at
least a few esoteric circumstances it is hard to parse this properly.

Best regards,