Displaying Mapserver raster in ArcMap gives 256 colours

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Oct 13 12:45:27 EDT 2006

Brendan -

Although this may change with different versions of ArcMap, my
experience is that ArcMap would select the FIRST image format type
advertised in the WMS service's capabilities document, and provide no
option for the selection of a different format.  Take a look at your
GetCapabilities result to see if that seems correct.

We ended up creating two distinct WMS services for ArcMap users - one
for topo maps and one for aerial photos.  The only reason we did that is
so we could force ArcMap to request PNG images in the first case and
JPEG in the second.  And as to Frank's comment about the QUALITY of
JPEGS, we found that QUALITY=80 for our aerial photography was virtually
indistinguishable from any higher number, so we use that value and no
one has ever complained about the quality of our photos.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.