advanced labelings

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Fri Oct 13 14:10:46 EDT 2006

Take a look at the mapfile documentation for LABEL:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/label

WRAP

You can identify a charater that will tell MapServer to WRAP the text.

David.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: UMN MapServer Users List
[mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Todd Fagin
	Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 12:03 PM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] advanced labelings

	Greetings all,

	I am wanting to do some advanced labeling in MapServer and have
several questions.

	First, if I want to label based on concatenated fields, but on
two separate lines. I know I can do something such as the following in
my CLASS object:

	TEXT ([QDNAME][INDEX_CODE])

	This, of course, will return labels from both the QDNAME and
INDEX_CODE fields, but on a single line.

	However, I would like to stake the labels on two lines, e.g.

	QDNAME

	INDEX_CODE

	Any suggestions on how to do this?

	Secondly, I would like to be able to label based on a truncated
field.  For instance, I would like to have as my label field the first 5
characters of a string, e.g.,

	LEFT([QDNAME], 5)

	Is there a way to do something along these lines without
creating a new field in my layer that only contains these characters?

	Ultimately, my goal is to be able to stack a single label field
into two lines.  So, if my attribute value is 1000-5142, I would like my
label to look like:

	1000-

	5142.

	Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.  I
have yet to find anything in the archives that would assist me in this
matter.

	Thanks in advance.

	Todd Fagin

	Coordinate Solutions, Inc.