Shading Polygons and removing internal boundaries from shapefiles

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Oct 24 11:16:12 EDT 2006

Matt,

For question #1, are you talking about the .dbf that is part of the
shapefile, or a second .dbf that you would like to join to?

For question #2, I would just suggest downloading the legislative
district shapefiles from the MN Legislative GIS Office:
http://www.gis.leg.mn/metadata/leg02.htm  (there is a download link in
the metadata)

David.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: UMN MapServer Users List
[mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Matt Pettis
	Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 10:58 AM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Shading Polygons and removing
internal boundaries from shapefiles

	Hi,

	I just installed MapServer because I want to do some graphical
shading of polygons that represent MN voting precints.  I have two
particular questions:

	1.  Is there an example mapfile or mapscript that helps me
understand how to shade polygons on a scale based upon a numeric value
in a .dbf file?

	2.  I want to graphically show Legislative districts, and I have
voting precint shapefiles.  How do I aggregate precints that belong to a
legislative district and make that one polygon, erasing the lines that
would be internal to this aggregated region?