ECW

James Perrins james.perrins at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 09:01:24 EDT 2006

Jeppe,

Below are some notes I made in the past when we had the issue - and I
replicated and solved the problem on a test setup

The problem all relates to anonymous IUSR privilges on the respective servers

Google for sysinternals filemon utility if you don't know it - excellent tool

Hope this helps
James

Problems accessing files on another server from IIS

Neatly summarised here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q207671

Test setup:
ESDMSERVER (192.1682.16.2) is Windows 2000 server with IIS (actually
SBS 2000 so domain trusts are banned)
ESDMDEV2 (192.1682.16.231) is a standalone Windows 2003 server

1)      Installed mapserver and maptest website on ESDMSERVER -
http://esdmserver/maptest/test_init.html ran OK
2)      Copy data onto ESDMDev2
3)      Rename data on ESDMSERVER – and check that maptest now fails
4)      Share G:\Maptestdata on Dev2 – everyone can read
5)      Check that (logged on as Admin) can see data on Dev2
6)      Edit test.map file so that UNC \\192.168.16.231\MaptestData is
used to data
7)      Verify that http://esdmserver/maptest/test_init.html still fails
Unable to access file. (\\192.168.16.231\MaptestData\coast_gb)
8)      Situation is now replicated as I understand it.
9)      Use filemon on ESDMSERVER to verify that it is the IUSR_ account
that is being denied permission.
10)     Note that the account being used is the anonymous account setup
for the Scripts directory (or wherever the CGI executable is being run
from).  If we are the only people using the dir then obviously we can
safely change the user on here.  If there are other apps in the
scripts dir – then its probably best to create our own new scripts
directory.
11)     We can create a totally new user on ESDMSERVER with our own
password (eg. MAPUSER) and set this as the anonymous user for IIS
scripts directory

12)     Changing the username used for anonymous access here can be
verified in FileMon (you should see access denied onto Dev2)
13)     Now if we create the same user on ESDMDev2 (MAPUSER) and possibly
give read access to the mapdata dir (though if this is set to everyone
it should be OK)
14)     Now what we should have achieved is getting the same user/pwd
combination setup the same on both servers.  In theory I don't see why
you shouldn't use the password extracted from IUSR_ESDMSERVER (see
below on how to obtain it) – but I confess this was not working for
me.  Anyway its actually probably more secure to create a specific
user that is the anonymous user (e.g. MAPUSER) for IIS scripts and
grant that user read access to the mapdata on ESDMDev2 – that way you
have total control of the user specifically for this task.
15)     Actually – even when I had setup the MAPUSER on both servers – it
still didn't work for me – but I messed around with permissions on
ESDMSERVER (e.g. temporarily granted Admin rights) and suddenly it all
sprung to life.  I now of course can't get it to fail even having
removed Admin rights – presumably due to windows having cached the
connection or something – so there may be a little bit of trial and
error to be done still – but unless it starts to fail I can't look at
this bit ! (Though I can make it fail by denying access to MAPUSER on
ESDMDev2 – so its definitely connecting using the right user)
16)     I think you can ignore the point above – in messing I had changed
the anonymous user on the website as well and that was having some
knock on effects.  Be warned though – if you change settings without
care you can get some odd results that can take a while to unpick !

http://192.168.16.2/maptest/test_init.html gives a very simple example
of mapserver on ESDMSERVER with data being drawn from ESDMDev2

--
Dr James Perrins
exeGesIS SDM Ltd
Email: JamesP at esdm.co.uk

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, the E-mail and any
files have been transmitted to you in error and any copying,
distribution or other use of the information contained in them is
strictly prohibited.

Nothing in this E-mail message amounts to a contractual or other legal
commitment on the part of exeGesIS SDM Ltd unless confirmed by a
signed communication.

exeGesIS SDM Ltd will make every effort to keep its network free of
viruses. However, the recipient of this message will need to scan this
message, and any attachments, for viruses, as exeGesIS SDM Ltd can
take no responsibility for any computer virus that might be
transferred by this e-mail.

--
Dr James Perrins
exeGesIS SDM Ltd