Limiting the viewable extent...

Steve Hall steve.hall at MERCATORGEOSYSTEMS.CO.UK
Tue Oct 31 04:01:22 EST 2006

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Steve Hall wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to restrict the users viewable extent of the map
>> through the map file?  For example, I have data loaded for the whole
>> of the country but I want it to be impossible for any client tool to
>> view data beyond a defined and fixed extent.
>>
>> The EXTENT parameters just seem to set the initial extent and you can
>> easily zoom out beyond this extent.
>>
>> I appreciate this is fairly easy to do through code but though that
>> if this was possible via a mapfile then it would be done at the
>> 'lowest' level...
>
> Yes, I believe you can do it by setting METADATA values for the MAP
> object. I just check the mapfile reference and it is not described
> there. Could you please write a documentation bug to request all
> METADATA controls be documented.
>
> -Steve W.

Thanks for this Steve, do you happen to know off hand any of the
relevant keywords to this problem (to get me started).  I could take a
look through the code and dig deeper if I have somewhere to start.
This will also enable me to file a more accurate and useful bug...

Cheers,
Steve H