Help: forging a MapServer configuration

Santiago Núñez Corrales snunez at CONARE.AC.CR
Wed Sep 6 15:41:54 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

First, greetings from Costa Rica. Recently we have been working on areal
imaging and we need to implement a web-mapping service. This service is
oriented to a highly variable range of users, including academia and any
different individuals/organizations.

Apart from vectorial data, we need to add collections of raster images.
Last four years NASA has been giving us help in aereal imaging, and we
count up to 16.000 raster photos (master, hyperspectral, multispectral)
of about 11Km X 11Km each in extension.

It is very important for us to know possible limitations, as well as get
suggestions about a hardware platform that can give a decent
performance. Another important consideration is that users should have
the possibility to include their data and produce customized maps. This
service is expected to grow to a middle/high demand into six to twelve
months approximately.

We are in the process of buying hardware, and we want to maximize
efficiency and as always, keep cost controlled. The objective is to
obtain an estimate of the server configuration, specially in terms of
CPU, memory and HD. Another question would be how to manage image
navigation in terms of preprocessing and file size.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Santiago Núñez Corrales
Researcher