Help: forging a MapServer configuration

Brent Wood pcreso at PCRESO.COM
Wed Sep 6 18:00:17 EDT 2006

--- Santiago N��ez Corrales <snunez at CONARE.AC.CR> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> First, greetings from Costa Rica. Recently we have been working on areal
> imaging and we need to implement a web-mapping service. This service is
> oriented to a highly variable range of users, including academia and any
> different individuals/organizations.
Hi Santiago,

My mapserver experience is relatively little, but I & some co-workers have
played with it on several platforms over the last year or so. 64bit Linux on
AMD64/Opteron cpus with as much memory and as fast a disk setup as you can
afford has worked MUCH faster for me than other alternatives. 32bit Linux is
second, and any Windows setup is a very distinct third. Intel cpu's were
consistently slower than AMD, and showed less benefit from moving to a 64 bit
Linux.

I'd guess there are load & configuration issues around these, which would
impact on the actual numbers, but I'll back these comparisons, at least for my
applications :-)

FWIW, for my main application I have about 8Gb vector data in a
Postgres/Postgis database, 2.5Gb of shapefiles and 3Gb of imagery sitting
behind mapserver.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood