Mapserver and IPTC Standard

Till Adams adams at TERRESTRIS.DE
Thu Sep 7 03:01:24 EDT 2006

Dear Frank,

thanks for this reply. I take this to our customer and see what he is
disposed to do.

See you next week!
Till

Frank Warmerdam schrieb:

> Till Adams wrote:
>
>> Hi List!
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea, if mapserver is able to write
>> metadata-fields (ideally after the IPTC Standard)
>> in the header of the generated images??
>>
>> Thanks in advance and looking forward meeting many people from this
>> list in Lausanne next week!
>

> Till,
>
> MapServer makes no use of metadata in TIFF datasets.  Nor does it
> provide any mechanism to write metadata when returning results in TIFF
> format.
>
> GDAL does support capturing some special fields as metadata, and can
> write
> them back to these tags, as well as create a general GDAL metadata tag to
> hold anything else.  However, GDAL has no support for reading or writing
> IPTC tags.  I gather from recent discussions on the libtiff mailing list
> that IPTC isn't even that easy to work with within libtiff.
>
> So, basically, if you want IPTC expect to have to do/fund some
> development.
> For any metadata access you will likely need to do some custom mapscript
> with calls to GDAL bindings for metadata access.
>
> Best regards,

*  released: AmeiN! ArcMap-Export-2-UMN  *
*        LiveLinux 'WebGIS on CD'        *
*        http://www.terrestris.de        *

Dipl. Geogr. Till Adams
terrestris, H. Paulsen& T. Adams GbR
Siemensstr. 8 * 53121 Bonn
Tel.: 0228 962 899 52 * Fax.: 0228 962 899 57
info at terrestris.de * http://www.terrestris.de